Sunday, December 2, 2018

Shrenda, Come Back! Don't chase that Squirrel!

Trust and Squirrels

One of the most important things I've learned from Shrenda over the years is trust.  Because I know I can trust her, I also know I can trust what she says.  Shrenda has told me most recently:

1.  Set boundaries.
2.  Keep unity in your marriage.
3.  Take care of your kids before taking care of others

The list could go on and on, but we'll start with those.  You know how Shrenda knows so much?  Because she knows the one who is Truth...the Lord!  She is quick to point me back to Him in any situation.  

1.  Setting boundaries is healthy.  If you run yourself down, you're no good to anyone.  If you try to help every single person that has needs, you'll never be able to care for them fully because you'll spread yourself thin.  Also, you may end up taking on the role that someone else was purposed for.

2.  Once you're married, you are one.  It's about working together.  We tell our kids often "we're a team", which drives them nuts sometimes.  We may not always sleep under the same roof or go to bed at the same time, but we can strive for unity in many others ways.  Good communication can even lead to unity, which is good for me because I love words and my hubby hears words well!

3.  Taking care of your little family is important.  I get side tracked sometimes and I try to help people in foreign lands and forget my own little three.  I prayed to have lots of children  but sometimes I forget to focus on my 3 answers to prayer.  That may be putting a note in their lunch or looking them in the eye for a 5 minute conversation on pirates, video games, and making jewelry (all things I know absolutely nothing about).  It's the little things in life...for real!

Squirrels
As for squirrels, that's more of an inside joke.  Slim Billion has known Shrenda since he saw her beautiful golden locks at the bus stop.  I think that was back in the 80's, but I'm not certain!  Anyway, Shrenda gets caught up in a bunch of things and her mind gets distracted easily.  Sound like anyone you know?  

One thing I can say about Shrenda and chasing multiple ideas at the same time, is that she still points things back to the Lord.  It may a cookie party or home decor.  It may be an illness or swimming.  She has a way of knowing how those things fit in the details of life.  And she knows the Giver of life, so she can point anyone back to Him.  Even in her illness, she points people to the Lord.  Does she do it with tears?  Sometimes.  Does she do it with laughter?  Yep.  Does Shrenda do it with gifts? You bet.  That's the thing about truth...it doesn't change!  So, no matter situations we're facing, there's Truth to be found.  Sometimes it takes longer to see it.  Sometimes it's painful to get there.  And sometimes we may laugh so hard we can't catch our breath.  

Birthday Party
My sweet Shrenda hosted a birthday party for me this year on the day SHE HAD A MEDICAL PROCEDURE!  This lady.  Again, she trusted that it would happen, even if Slim had to cook dinner.  And we all know Slim would've rather been learning Hebrew than cooking dinner for a bunch of girls that want to talk about potty training, gift ideas, and swings.  Shrenda knew that my momma was unable to host a party and that my own little family was struggling with the added stress of caring for my parents.  Also, the last friend party I remember was at McDonald's.  

Sorry!  I didn't have time to conceal identities.  Still no one knows which 
girl is Shrenda!  For fun, there's a teacher, a creative mind, a therapist, 
a nurse, a preschool teacher, a momma, and a sarcastic funny girl.  Just realized 
there's a shirt maker missing from the picture! See if you can figure it out!

Funny thing is that this party was far from what anyone expected.  Some fiends were afraid to come because their lives had changed so drastically.  But one friend even drove an hour to see us!  And you know what?  The party was AMAZING!!  In typical Shrenda fashion, she coined this group of ladies a funny name because of life's challenges.  Thankfully laughter was a big part of the evening.  So, thanks to squirrels and Shrenda, I had an amazing evening!  Also, my sweet husband cared for our kiddos so I could enjoy the evening!  There's that unity and caring for the kids Shrenda talked about!!  I could go on for days...

If anyone sees Shrenda, please don't tell her that I think I'm so much like her.  And if you know Slim, pray for him!  He loves his wife so big, but mostly he's gonna need some running to shoes to keep up with Shrenda.  She's going places in life!  I can see Slim chasing her while yelling "what else?"  


"For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does." 
Psalm 33:4




No comments:

Post a Comment