Friday, February 21, 2014

A Good Pick-Me-Up

Who doesn’t love a good pick-me-up? Samuel is no different. He’s eating up the attention…

Pick me up…and toss me in the air, Daddy.
Pick me up…and kiss my scraped knee, Mommy.
Pick me up…and help me into my booster seat, Jo Jo.
Pick me up…and give me a big kiss. 
Pick me up...because I want to be close to you.
Pick me up…and hold me just because you can.

Russ and I were talking the other day about how all of this attention must seem strange to Samuel. After all, he shared a room and attention of his nannies with roughly 15 other children close in age.  I just can’t imagine caring for a room full of Samuels. Or maybe he doesn’t even think too much about it. His nannies loved him a lot.  They did; we are confident.  From what we heard, he was quite “spoiled” due to their concern of what effect his crying might have on his hernia. I wonder if it seems strange to him especially on Joey’s preschool days for the 2 of us to be all alone. Either way, Samuel does not seem to mind the attention. In fact, I don’t think he knows what to do with it some days. 


These 2 guys are pretty SUPER!

I can’t wait for the day when Samuel yells “Mama” and actually means it. He repeats our words occasionally.  He will even call the Hogs!  He doesn’t yet refer to us as Mama or Dada. Based on some help of friends who have lived in China, we think he might be calling me a Chinese word for “nanny”. And quiet honestly, sometimes I feel like a nanny, a food lady (which is what some think dietitians are anyway), cleaning crew, referee. There was a moment when I became offended that Samuel didn’t refer to me as Mama. Then, I realized he doesn’t even know what a Mama is.  It makes sense.  It’s just a word to him. A title. He doesn’t realize that a Mama (and Dada) take care of your every need. They are there when you fall down. They are there when you need a hug. They are there to celebrate your special moments. Samuel’s nannies have been that person for most of his life. So, for now, I will gladly be “nanny” with hopes of one day soon hearing that magical word “Mama”!

On a side note, I feel blessed that Samuel likes me…a lot. I can walk away to quickly use the restroom only to hear a gentle repetitive knock on the door that doesn’t stop until he hears my voices or sees my face. Quite often it’s more of a loud howling sound with an increasing volume as it grows closer. He giggles when I hug him tight and say “you’re just so cute. I just wanna squeeeeeeze you”. Samuel gives me kisses freely and without my prompting. He grabs my cheeks and goes in for a slobbery smooch. Ok, so sometimes it’s part of his stall tactic at bedtime too. And there’s just something so cute and humbling about walking into Samuel’s room during naptime to see his out-stretched arms and a gentle sign “please”. Who can resist that? Not me, even if he’s awake a little earlier than expected. He might not call me Mama, but he does know who I am. And he makes me feel pretty special – like a Mama should.


Figuring out play doh

The play doh pizza chef

Big Brothers are pretty entertaining

Look at that cutie!

Wild man

Run, run as fast as you can...

No fear!

Daddy and Samuel made their first trip to the hardware store.

Rock stars loves smoothies

This little guy is ours...and we are his!








No comments:

Post a Comment